Monday, November 11, 2013

retrofitting - the joys of banging a round peg in a square hole

 
Jonno with hefty mallet, June 2013

I know the usual saying goes fit a square peg in a round hole...but in this case the same excruciating frustration and sense of futility prevails every time the 'safety barricades' have to go up in the driveway. While I cannot disclose the exact location of this situation, I can divulge there is a fair amount of irony that goes with this ridiculous exercise. The irony has been in effect since 2009, when the rigorous and mandated Risk Assessment Committee was formed, inspections ensued across the entire organisation and Occupational Health and Safety and site management plans were enforced with the reams of paperwork appropriate for each project.

Now you might think I am careless when it comes to appreciating safety in the workplace, which I can clarify I am not, I'm merely perplexed that while other projects may be scrutinised in every manner of detail, requiring tomes of  remedial action tables to explain the risks and mitigating strategies, WHY a ridiculous safety barrier system is still allowed to exist after 4 years of operational anguish. 

Maybe there's too much paperwork to write up in order to change it?

No comments:

Post a Comment